Saturday, August 12, 2006

Carjacking Tale in the Philippines

I did. Last February (bday month ko pa man din!)

I was waiting for my gf to get some laundry along Dos Castillas st. near UST. Nasa loob ako ng auto with my parking lights on and the passenger door left unlocked

Biglang I hear in the distance the sound of wang wangs going towards me..so my attention was quickly focused on that. Then after 2 secodns of listening to teh wangwangs, this guy in a black jacket, a cap, opens my passenger door and goes iniside while shouting "mag drive ka!". It took me around 4 seconds to notice he was holding a gun. He point it at me when all I do is stare instead of follow his orders. At that point, I say "saan?". He tells me to go on reverse. Of course, going on reverse leads me to Dapitan street..eh traffic dun diba. So I stop. When I stop, he again shouts "MAG DRIVE KA!" while pointing the gun at me and shaking it. At this point I was beginning to get scared because he was obviously in panic mode and any wrong move can prompt him to pull the trigger. So, stuck in traffic, I say "Sa iyo na lang ito, alis na lang ako". He thinks about it then nods and waves his gun at me as if to say "sige alis ka na". So I leave the car, run to my gf and call 117.

Calling 117, I tell the cop every detail about the car and where it happened. Turns out the robber was part of a larger group of robbers who were attacked by policemen as they tried to rob a car worthy of robbing (i drive a 6 year old corolla hehe) along Lacson st. The band of misfits split up, and I was unfortunate enough to be parked along the escape route of one of them.

Anyway, I go home via cab that night hehe.

The next day, my gf calls telling us that a cop called her..he found her laptop's ID card on the backseat of my car which was abandoned along Rizal Ave. Buti na lang kilala ng dad ko yung chief of police in that area. They returned the car AND my GFs laptop with no hassle. The only things missing were my airsoft Glock 19, and my favorite pair of shades which the cops probably took.

According to witnesses, the robber parked my car in Rizal Ave., then left it while running towards Sta. Cruz. The bastard. At least he didnt take the laptop.

Dami rin kwento ang mga pulis about their experiences with holdappers...some are shocking hehe.

Lesson learned na lang ako, I minimize parking and waiting inside, and I always make sure locked ang doors and naka off ang parking lights if I do wait inside.

No comments: